Graduate Student Assistantships
We offer competitive research or teaching assistantships to 12 PhD students and teaching assistantships to seven master's students. Additional positions may be available if faculty members have research grants.
PhD Student Opportunities for Assistantships
Our assistantships include:
- Presidential Graduate Research Assistantships (two available): A four-year graduate research assistant directed by a department faculty member. Salary: $22,500 for nine months plus 18 credits tuition reimbursement and individual health insurance. Renewable for each year if Grade Point Average (GPA) is 3.5 or higher. New students only. Minimal requirement: 3.5 GPA at admission with 310 combined GRE.
- Graduate Research Assistantships: Depending on external funding of faculty members, a limited number of graduate research Assistantships for PhD students may be available directed by a department faculty member. Salary: $22,500 for nine months plus 18 credits tuition reimbursement and individual health insurance. Some GRAs may include some summer support.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantships (10 available): Salary: $22,500 for nine months plus 18 credits tuition reimbursement and individual health insurance. A limited number of graduate teaching assistantships positions are also available in summer (salary $2,500).
- Federal Government Internships/Work-Study/Fellowships: U.S. citizens only. Several government agencies in the Fairfax/Washington, D.C.- area, including the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Census Bureau, and Department of Agriculture, offer a variety of programs to assist PhD students who are U.S. citizens.
- Summer Internships: Because of our proximity to major companies and government agencies that do statistical work, a number of internships are available to students each year.
Students who have assistantships may not have external employment. Interested students should note on their application form that they wish to be considered for an assistantship.
For more information about PhD assistantships, contact Guoqing Diao, PhD statistics coordinator
Graduate Teaching Assistantships for Master's Degree Students
Graduate Teaching Assistantships (seven available): Salary: $17,500 for nine months with partial tuition grants. Health insurance is not available. A limited number of graduate teaching assistant positions are also available in summer (salary $2,500).